Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fire caused by water heater results in $15K of damage


A faulty water heater was credited with causing a fire at 1509 Lawless Avenue Thursday afternoon.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters reported to the scene just after 2:30 p.m. on Thursday.

After arriving, they found no one inside the home and discovered the fire originated in the basement of the home.

"Crews on the scene within two minutes reported smoke showing from a one-story wood framed residential structure," said Craig Duke, battalion chief for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department. "A primary and secondary search of structure confirmed residents were not at home. Crews located fire in the basement area that extended to parts of the structure."

About $15,000 worth of damage was reported by the KCK Fire Department.

No one was hurt.