Thursday, July 5, 2012

Teenager taken to hospital after fireworks explosion


A 15-year-old teenager was taken to the hospital Wednesday night after a firework exploded in his face.

The incident happened on the 1100 Block of Scott Avenue. The victim was lighting a firework when it exploded earlier than anticipated.

He suffered facial trauma and was transported to the University of Kansas Hospital, according to Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department Battalion Chief Craig Duke.

Duke said the incident is the only injury-related call the department received regarding fireworks.