Monday, October 8, 2012

League Champs! Clock strikes midnight for Washington as Bulldogs win game and league


It's fitting Dimonic McKinzy sealed a 25-19 victory against Washington with a late interception in the fourth quarter.

McKinzy is one of the biggest reasons why the Wyandotte Bulldogs are celebrating a Kansas City Kansas - Atchison League championship this weekend.

Wyandotte improved to 5-1 and 4-1 in the KCKAL with the win Friday night - one that clinched a league championship for the first time in years.

However, as most opponents for Washington found out this season, it wasn't easy.

After fumbling the opening kickoff of the game, the Bulldogs defense was fodder for a Washington rushing attack that was strong all night.

Washington sophomore running back Javeon Williams scored on a 13-yard touchdown to open up the scoring. The extra point put the Wildcats up 7-0 with 9:39 left in the opening quarterback.

As he did last week, McKinzy gathered his offense and started picking away at the opposition.

McKinzy connected with his wide receivers on two huge third downs on the next drive; the quarterback would cap off the drive with a 5-yard touchdown run to tie the game at 7.

Washington would take the next drive deep into Bulldogs territory, but the Bulldogs would hold the Wildcats on downs.

The next drive featured the first of three touchdowns called back due to penalty. Antonio Moore scored from 65 yards out, but a holding call brought the play back.

The call only temporarily stopped the Bulldogs, as McKinzy continued the advance. On the final play of the drive, McKinzy transformed into Houdini, escaping two Wildcats sack attempts and hitting on a 17-yard touchdown pass to give Wyandotte the 13-7 lead.

Washington's final drive of the first half is one the Wildcats might look back at with disgust when the season ends.

Down deep in Bulldogs territory, Williams scored on a touchdown run - but the run was wiped off the board after an official called an "offensive spearing" call. On top of the controversial call, the refs started the clock following the penalty, leaving the Wildcats no opportunity to run a final play.

Instead of having the game tied, the Wildcats trailed 13-7 at the half.

The opening kickoff of the third quarter turned out to be the third touchdown eliminated via penalty.

Lloyd Stanfield returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, only to see a block-in-the-back call eliminate the score.

Like Wyandotte did after Moore's touchdown was negated, Washington scored anyway.

Williams scored his second touchdown of the game to tie the score at 13.

But Wyandotte had a final answer for the young Wildcats - and it turned out to be one of the young guns for the Bulldogs. 

As he has all year long, Wyandotte sophomore Antonio Moore stole the show in the second half. Moore scored two touchdowns in the second half - including the game winner.

Both scores involved Moore literally running over some Washington defenders.

With the scored tied at 19 following a 57-yard touchdown reception by Washington's Marvin Bowens, Moore took a pass from McKinzy and scored from about 20 yards out. During the run, Moore bulldozed over a defender.

Washington had two opportunities late in the fourth quarter, but turnovers ended both drives.

Wyandotte improves to 5-1 on the season, while the Wildcats fall to 3-3.