Friday, December 21, 2012

Grandmother taken to hospital after fire


An 80-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after a fire hit a Kansas City, Kan., apartment early Friday morning.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters responded to the scene at 730 Nebraska Ave. by around 4 a.m. Friday morning.

After arriving on the scene, crews discovered an 80-year-old grandmother and her two children inside the apartment room.

According to Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department Battalion Chief Craig Duke, the fire was caused by the stove inside the apartment's kitchen.

"Crews located a grandmother (80 years) and her two grandchildren (females 10 years and 13 years) who had taken refuge in the bedroom of the apartment," Duke said. "Crews were informed by the occupants that they were alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke. They opened the bedroom door and saw flames in the kitchen."

The stove was unattended, according to Duke.

The grandmother suffered minor smoke inhalation and was transported to an area hospital. She's expected to recover.

Her two grandchildren were not harmed in the fire.

The fire caused $5,000 worth of damage inside the apartment.

View Larger Map