Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mattress fire results in damage to home

A mattress fire caused by "smoking materials" resulted in $25,000 worth of damage to a Kansas City, Kan., home Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters from the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department hit the scene at 1531 N. 5th Street at around 12:30 Sunday afternoon.

When arriving on there, firefighters discovered light smoke from the second story of a two-story home in the area.

"A primary search confirmed all occupants were out of the structure," said Craig Duke, battalion chief for the KCK Fire Department. "Crews located a mattress fire in a second-story bedroom."

The fire was extinguished within seven minutes, according to Duke.

No one was harmed in the fire and about $25,000 worth of damage was done to the home.

View Larger Map