Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Two KCK residents die due to carbon monoxide poisoning; UPDATE: KCK firefighter also treated

A brother and a sister died in a home Tuesday due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department, a 58-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman were killed in a home on 51st Street and Georgia Avenue.

An investigation of the scene determined that a generator created a dangerous level of carbon monoxide inside the home.
The generator was used after power was knocked out following this week's large snowstorm.

More information when available.


UPDATE 8:38 p.m. - The Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department emailed the following information. Along with the two confirmed deaths, a KCK firefighter was treated. However, the firefighter returned to duty.

Full statement from Craig Duke, battalion chief of the KCK Fire Department:
Crews responded to unknown medical call. Crews on the scene within three minutes reported that family member had responded to the home when they were unable to contact residents by phone. Crews entered residence and found two adults deceased. Crews found generator running in basement garage. Generator was shut off, windows and doors opened to ventilate structure. Crews used monitoring equipment to determine carbon monoxide (CO) levels. Garage area had a reading of 600 parts per million. Other areas of structure had high levels of CO also. Residents were 69-year-old female and her 58-year-old brother. One firefighter had above normal CO level reading, he was checked out and returned to duty. No other injuries were reported.