Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Fire caused by "improper disposal of smoking materials" results in nearly $25K in damages

By NICK SLOAN, nick@kansascitykansan.com

The Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department responded to a fire at 2612 Maddox that resulted in nearly $25,000 worth of damage done to the home.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters responded to the home just after noon Tuesday afternoon.

According to KCK Fire Department Battalion Chief Craig Duke, the fire was caused by "improper disposal of smoking materials."

"Crews on the scene within four minutes reported heavy smoke and fire coming from a detached garage," Duke said. " The fire had extended to residential structure due to heat and the proximity of the fire structure to the home. Crews were able contain extension of the fire to the residence."

No one was hurt in the fire, but about $25,000 worth of damage was done to the home and property.