Monday, November 18, 2013

Faulty fireplace blamed for KCK fire

KANSAS CITY, KAN. ---- A fire at 6213 Tauromee Ave. caused $25,000 worth of damage on Monday.

The fire was reported to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department shortly after 1 a.m. on Monday morning. No one was injured in the fire, which was caused by a faulty fireplace.

Everyone inside the home evacuated thanks to a smoke detector.

Full KCKFD statement:
Crews on the scene within five minutes reported smoke coming from the roof of a one story residential structure. Occupants were alerted by smoke detectors. All occupants had self-evacuated. Primary search confirmed all occupants out of structure.

Crews found fire from fireplace had traveled up inside of walls to attic area. Fire was under control within eight minutes. BPU called to shut off utilities to structure. Pre-fire value of structure $135,000. Estimated damage to structure and contents $25,000.