Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Homes evacuated after gas leak on 32nd and Orville Avenue

KANSAS CITY, KAN. ---- No one was harmed after a natural gas leak was reported on the 3200 Block of Orville Ave.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters reported to the scene at around 7:40 a.m. Wednesday morning.

All residents who lived within a 150-foot radius were evacuated.

More from Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department PIO Deputy Chief Craig Duke:
Crews on the scene within three minutes reported a natural gas smell in area of 32nd and Orville. Crews confirmed heavy odor of natural gas in the area and requested Kansas Gas Service to respond. Fire crews evacuated residents within a 150 foot radius of known leak area. Twelve residents were at home and did self- evacuate using their own vehicles. Gas service crews arrived on scene and confirmed leak of an 8” main line. Crews remained on scene on standby as repairs were made by Kansas Gas Service.