The Kansas City Kansas Community College Dr. Thomas R. Burke Technical Education Center has a variety of new and exciting Continuing Education classes that will help students of all ages explore interests and learn about topics that interest them.
Not only do these courses help students stretch their funds by teaching skills such as cooking, cabinet making, electrical, home repairs and various certifications, but it is also a way for working adults to take courses in the evenings.
In addition, KCKCC employees are eligible for discounts up to 50 percent off some classes (discounts do not apply to the cooking classes).
“These classes teach students how to repair and maintain equipment they might use every day or many times throughout the year,” said Rich Piper, director of the KCKCC Technical Education Center. “The biggest reason many of the continuing education students take these courses is it is fun to learn something new and put that knowledge to work. Plus they are extremely cost affordable compared with other institutions and organizations that offer this type of training.”
The classes available for the Spring 2014 semester include:
- Automotive Repair. Classes include Basic Automotive Care, Cosmetic Auto Body and Small Engine Repair. Fees vary and classes begin in February.
- Forklift Certification. Fee is $350 with courses in February, March, April and May.
- Home Improvements. Classes include Basic Furniture Upholstery, Basic Home Repair and Remodeling, Beginning Cabinetmaking and Elements of Landscaping Design. Fees vary and courses start in February.
- Motorcycle Basic Repair. Fee is $95 and sessions start in February and April.
- Small Business. Classes include Major Home Appliance Repair, Residential Inspection, Residential Wiring and How to Start Your Own Home-Based Business. Fees vary, and classes start in February.
- Professional Cooking Classes. Classes include Heartwarming Soups, Introduction to Cake Decorating, Perfect Pies, Teen Cooking 101 and Preparing and Shaping Yeast Breads. Fees vary and classes are ongoing.
- Personal Enrichment. Classes include AutoCad/3D Model Construction and Hazard Communication, Mastercam X7, Level 1 and Mastercam X7, Level 2. Fees vary, and classes begin in February.
To be designated as an employee and be eligible for discounts, email Elizabeth Folsom at firstname.lastname@example.org before registration for a class.
For more information or to enroll, visit the KCKCC website at www.kckcc.edu/academics/tec/tecnoncreditcourse.aspx or call 913-288-7800.