Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pile of clothes blamed for small fire in KCK home

By NICK SLOAN, nick@kansascitykansan.com

KANSAS CITY, KAN. ----- A pile of clothes is to blame for a small fire that happened Tuesday at a Kansas City, Kan., house.

Firefighters reported to 3600 Shawnee Drive just after 10:15 Tuesday morning.

Crews discovered smoke coming from a one-story home at the location. Two adults and one child living in the home evacuated after the fire started. A female adult suffered minor smoke inhalation.

According to Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department PIO Deputy Chief Craig Duke, the fire was in the utility room of the home and was ignited by a pile of clothes that was near the water heater.

"Occupant had knocked down fire with water from the sink," Duke said in a statement. "The fire was located in a utility room. Clothing had been piled up too close to water heater and had ignited. Crews removed smoldering embers from the structure."

The fire resulted in $1,500 worth of damage.