KANSAS CITY, KAN. ----- The Kansas City Kansas Area Chamber of Commerce presented the following awards at the annual Small Business Awards Luncheon at Sporting Park on June 6:
- 2014 Small Business of the Year Award to Preferred Physical Therapy,
- 2014 New Small Business of the Year Award to Agua Fina Irrigation & Landscape, and
- 2014 Non-Profit of the Year Award to Argentine Neighborhood Development Association.
Wendy Torrance, PhD, Director of Entrepreneurship with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation gave the keynote presentation. In addition to receiving a certificate and award, winners in each category were presented with a cash prize by Arlene Mockapetris, Regional Manager and Senior Vice President with U.S. Bank. Mockapetris surprised attendees with an additional $1,000 donation to each of the non-profit finalists.
Argentine Neighborhood Development Association (ANDA) is a Community Development Corporation (CDC) and a Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO). It’s mission is to revitalize the Argentine area. Through an innovative public & private partnership, ANDA raised $3.1 million to secure a grocery store.
Agua Fina Irrigation and Landscape opened for business in March 2012. Since then, the business has grown 500 percent and has been involved in or participated in public projects in Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas valued at $16 million.
Agua Fina and its employees have donated time and materials to numerous charitable organizations including the Archdiocese of Kansas City, Kansas and Habitat for Humanity.
Preferred Physical Therapy provides physical therapy and occupational therapy services.
Preferred Physical Therapy’s mission is to enhance the overall physical health, fitness and quality of life of individuals by treating them with the highest quality, comprehensive and individualized physical therapy services possible.
In addition to the award winners, two finalists in each of the categories were honored. They included:
- Small Business of the Year Award finalists Horace Mann Lofts and Judi’s Family Bakery
- New Small Business of the Year award finalists Goin’ Postal and Leap2 dba Leap.it; and
- Non-Profit of the Year Award finalists Associated Youth Services and Duchesne Clinic.