Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wyandot Center accepting applications for rental assistance

KANSAS CITY, KAN. ----- Wyandot Center is accepting applications for rental assistance through a grant awarded to the community mental health center by Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC).

Wyandot Center is one of 10 agencies designated to receive funds from KHRC for Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA). Wyandot Center received a $75,000 grant.

Sherri Hewitt, Wyandot Center TBRA coordinator, said that to be eligible persons must be Wyandotte County residents who are at or below 60 percent of the area median income, and the head of the household or spouse must be a person with a disability, specifically, mental illness.

There are no restrictions on the number of persons in the household. Receiving services through Wyandot Center is not an eligibility requirement.

Households generally pay no more than 30 percent of their income for rent with assistance from this grant.  Security and utility deposit assistance may also be available.

Applications are available at Wyandot Center, 1301 N. 47th Street, Kansas City, KS 66102 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday. Applicants can enter the building marked Adult Services.

For more information or to receive an application by mail, contact Hewitt, at 913-288-4247 or

Funded through the federal HOME Investment Partnerships Program and administered by KHRC, Tenant Based Rental Assistance allows organizations like Wyandot Center to provide rental subsidies for income-eligible individuals.

The subsidy acts as short-term housing assistance until other, more permanent housing subsidy funds become available.

"TBRA funds help individuals obtain safe, decent, affordable housing in Wyandotte County," Hewitt says.

For more information about Wyandot Center, visit