The induction ceremony and celebration will take place Thursday, November 20 on the first floor of the KCKPS Central Office and Training Center, 2010 N. 59th St. The event begins at 7 p.m. and is open to the public.
Board of Education President Dr. Evelyn Hill will welcome guests, and honorees will be introduced by the current principals of their alma maters. The Sumner Academy Chorale Seniors will perform under the direction of Becky Thomas, director.
Superintendent Dr. Cynthia Lane will address the members of the Alumni Honor Roll. Deryl Wynn, with McAnany, Van Cleave & Phillips, will present the 2014 Reasons to Believe Scholarships.
The Reasons to Believe Alumni Honor Roll annually showcases the high caliber of graduates that the district produces and brings a select group of them together with staff, students, community members, colleagues and key leaders for a night of honors.
Members of the 2014 Reasons to Believe Alumni Honor Roll are:
- Nedra Bonds, artist/social activist, Wyandotte High School Class of 1966
- Norman Brown, jazz guitarist, Wyandotte High School Class of 1982
- Wesley Guy Burt, artist/illustrator, Sumner Academy of Arts and Science Class of 1999
- Phil Dixon, author/historian/speaker, Wyandotte High School Class of 1974
- Dr. Simone Ariana Ellis, dentist, Sumner Academy of Arts and Science Class of 2001
- Lloyd Freeman, attorney, Sumner Academy of Arts and Science Class of 2000
- Drue Jennings, retired CEO of KCP&L, Argentine Junior/Senior High Class of 1964
- Marcus Newsom, assistant athletic director/coach at Wartburg College, F.L. Schlagle High School Class of 1988
- Dr. LeeRoy Pitts, retired educator, Sumner High School Class of 1951
- Harold Simmons, retired police detective, Wyandotte High School Class of 1965
- Dr. Jayson Strickland, KCKPS administrator, Washington High School Class of 1989
- Dr. Christi Walter, health systems scientist, J.C. Harmon High School Class of 1976
Reasons to Believe was established in 2002 to generate pride and celebrate the progress being made throughout the district. As part of the program, nominations are sought for the Reasons to Believe Alumni Honor Roll, which spotlights successful alumni to encourage and inspire today’s students.
To review past honor roll classes or to learn more about the program, go to www.kckps.org/recognition/alumni.