Saturday, March 7, 2015

Man sentenced to 78 months in connection to death

Courtesy of the Wyandotte County District Attorney's Office

KANSAS CITY, KAN. ---- Joshua J. Brazeal, 28 years old, last known to reside in Lacygne, Kan., was sentenced today in connection with the Aug. 19, 2014 death of Geraldine Strader.

Strader had been driving her 1998 Toyota Camry on Haskell Avenue, and she entered the intersection at 38th Street, in Kansas City, Kan. Brazeal had been driving a 2001 Cadillac Eldorado along 38th Street, and he entered the intersection at Haskell Avenue at a high rate of speed, according to the investigation by Kansas City, Kan., police.

The Cadillac collided with the left front side of the Toyota, causing the Toyota to spin. Strader was ejected from the Toyota and seriously injured. She died several hours later at an area hospital.

Brazeal had a passenger, Brianna Marshall, now 21, who lived on Osage Avenue, in Kansas City, Kan. She suffered a head injury in the collision.

Despite suffering a broken ankle in the collision, Brazeal fled from the collision scene on foot. He was located the next day after the collision at another area hospital.

The Cadillac driven by Brazeal had been reported stolen from a Kansas City, Kan., residence near 83rd and Leavenworth Road, about 38 hours before the collision. After it was stolen it is believed to have been driven to Fort Scott, Kansas and back.

Brazeal entered into a plea agreement and was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Strader’s death; and he was convicted of reckless aggravated battery in connection with Marshall’s injury.

Because he had previously been convicted of a felony, Brazeal was also convicted of criminal possession of a firearm. In return for Brazeal’s pleas of guilty to these felony charges, the State dismissed two lesser charges, leaving the scene of the collision and having a suspended driver’s license.

Today, in Wyandotte County District Court, Brazeal, who has been held in custody since his arrest, was sentenced to 60 months for the manslaughter conviction, nine months for the aggravated battery conviction, and nine months for possessing the firearm. Those sentences were ordered to be served consecutively in the Kansas Department of Corrections.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, Brazeal was not granted probation.