Monday, December 9, 2013

Family pet revived after fire at KCK house


KANSAS CITY, KAN. ----- A Saturday evening fire at 1909 S. 16th Street in Kansas City, Kan., caused $60,000 worth of damage.

Firefighters raced out to the scene just before midnight on Saturday. They arrived to find the fire near the front of the home. The cause of the fire was from the home's fireplace.

"The fire originated in the fire place on the first floor," said KCK Fire Department PIO Deputy Chief Kevin Shirley. "Fire had extended into the upstairs bedroom and attic area. Crews made an aggressive interior attack and brought the fire under control 15 minutes after arrival."

There was a silver lining from the fire.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters rescued a dog from the home and later saved its life. The dog was non-responsive initially, but was revived at the scene of the fire.

The American Red Cross was called to help out a family of two adults and one child.

Outside of the dog, no other injuries were reported.