KANSAS CITY, KAN. ----- Six Enactus students from Kansas City Kansas Community College attended the Enactus United States National Exposition April 1 to 3 at the Duke Energy Convention Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Enactus is an international non-profit organization that brings together student, academic and business leaders who are committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need.
At the event, Estefania Torres, Eva Bett, Jose Ramero, Gustavo Perez-Martinez and Joe McSorley showcased the impacts of their educational and community outreach efforts.
These students were evaluated by business leaders, serving as judges, who rank them on how successfully they used business concepts to improve the quality of life and standard of living for those in need. The judging panel gave them a standing ovation after the presentation.
The KCKCC team placed as a finalist in the opening round and received an opening round trophy. Allen Lenoir, faculty member and Sam Walton Fellow, also received recognition.
The seven major projects, on which the KCKCC Enactus students presented, included:
· My Shelf to Yours - Assisted international and non-international students who show financial need by establishing a lending library for students and providing more than $5,500 in tuition scholarships.
· KCKCC MADE - Promoted individual innovation and entrepreneurship on campus.
· Hillcrest Transitional Housing - Helps homeless individuals become self-reliant.
· Junior Achievement - Taught fourth and fifth graders about business.
· Reality U - Educated students on financial literacy.
· Habitat for Humanity - Improved housing in the urban core in the Kansas City area.
· V.I.T.A. - Assisted low-income people with income tax preparation.
Enactus is open to all KCKCC students.
Students interested in transforming lives, implementing community empowerment or educational outreach projects and developing leadership skills are welcome to join the Enactus team by calling Allen Lenoir at 913-288-7659 or sending an email to email@example.com.