Thursday, June 5, 2014

Storm blamed for fire on Leavenworth Road


KANSAS CITY, KAN. ----- A fire caused by a power-line knocked down during this morning's storms resulted in $25,000 worth of damage to a home at 6615 Leavenworth Road.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters responded to the scene of the fire shortly after 11 a.m. on Thursday.

According to KCK Fire Department PIO Deputy Chief Craig Duke, tree limbs knocked down the power-lines during this morning's storm, which caused an electrical short inside the home.

"Crews found fire in kitchen area that had spread to attic area of home," Duke said. "All occupants had self-evacuated. Primary and secondary search confirmed all occupants were out of the structure. BPU called to shut off power to structure."

The American Red Cross was called to assist three adults.

No one was hurt in the fire.