KANSAS CITY, KAN. ---- Today, the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department responded to reports of a gas line struck in the area of 2300 Metropolitan Avenue.
Crews were on the scene within two minutes and reported that a 4" gas line was struck by crews working in the area. Kansas Gas Service was dispatched to the scene.
Fire crews cordoned off the area. As a precautionary measure crews evacuated residents from a a nearby apartment complex.
Most residents left the area in their personal vehicles.
A KCK Transit bus was dispatched to accommodate residents who had no means of transport to leave the area. As another precautionary measure, USD 500 was contacted to evacuate the students from Argentine Middle School.
Approximately 600 students were evacuated to Harmon High School. Kansas Gas Service rendered the leak safe and residents were allowed to return to their home at approximately 2:15 pm.
Students from Argentine Middle were returned prior to the end of the school day. No injuries were reported.
Friday, October 3, 2014
Students at Argentine Middle School evacuated to Harmon after gas leak
From the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department: