Thursday, March 5, 2015

Injured Wyandotte County Sheriff deputy's condition improving; multiple "persons of interest" in custody


KANSAS CITY, KAN. ---- Wyandotte County Sheriff's Deputy Scott Wood, who was shot seven times on Wednesday morning, is improving, according to the Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office and the University of Kansas Hospital.

Wood remains in critical condition, but doctors at KU Hospital expressed optimism about his recovery.

"He's in quite good condition," said Dr. Michael Moncure, a trauma surgeon at the hospital. "He has a great sense of humor and I was able to talk about him. I think he stands to make a good recovery."

Wood remains on a ventilator as of Thursday afternoon, but Moncure said Wood will be given tests in the future to see when he can be taken off the ventilator.

"We test everyday to find out if someone is strong enough to breath on their own," Moncure said. "We will perform a number of tests in the early morning. If those tests turn out positive, he can breath on his own for two hours and then more tests will be given."

On the investigation side, Wyandotte County Sheriff Don Ash said "a number of people" are in custody as persons of interest in connection the case.

He added that no information exists about potential additional suspects as of right now.

"We believe at this point, based on what we know, we have a number of them that are in custody and being considered persons of interest," Ash said. "At this point, I don't have information that anyone else is out there. Some information may develop in the process of the investigation."

The Kansas City, Kan., Police Department is assisting in the investigation.

Staci Wood, the wife of the injured deputy, said the response from the community and the nation have helped the family deal during this difficult period.

"The community has been wonderful," Staci Wood said. "Not just the Kansas City area, but all over. There are people calling from Washington D.C. The National FOP association has called. Many of the FOP members have contacted us. The fact everyone is just praying and checking on us makes a world of difference for us."

Staci Wood said her husband is looking forward to returning to duty once he is fully recovered.